I’m sure you’ve all seen those little WordPress notification bar alerts at the top of some websites announcing their latest and greatest offer/prize/announcement. Perhaps some of you have even wanted to add your own, only to find out the one you saw costs money. Well I’ve good news for you as there is a free plugin available that does the job just as well.
The WordPress Notification Bar is a very simple plugin that has just one job, to call attention to a specific page or product you are promotion on your site.
To add the plugin to your site search for “WordPress Notification Bar” from the “Add New” menu under Plugins on your WordPress install. Once activated you will need to configure a few settings in order to get it working correctly. To do this navigate to “Settings -> Notification Bar“.
Once on the settings page you’ll be greeted with a very simple options panel to configure.
There isn’t anything to complicated on the settings page above so lets work down the list.
- Enable – It’s either on or off
- Message – This is your call to action text that will attract the reader to clicking through via the button
- Button Label – Allows you to customise the button label text. It could be “Buy Now” or “Click Here” etc
- Button Link – This is where you want to take people once they click the button on the notification bar
- Button Target – Sets if the link will open a new page/window or direct the current page (I’d leave this option unchecked personally)
- Position – You have the option to either stick the notification bar to the top of the page so as you scroll down it follows or just have it stay at the top
- Background Colour – The last option is setting an eye-catching colour to attract the reader’s eye. Red is always a great option if you can’t decide
The only downside to the plugin is its lack of tracking. Many of the paid notification bar options will record details on how many people click on your alert you get vs ignoring it and allow you to setup alternative text to test which is the more inviting. If you require those types of metrics then this plugin may not be for you.
But for displaying a simple alert notification for free, this WordPress plugin might just be what you are looking for.